Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

We have included some of the questions that are commonly asked by prospective purchasers, existing residents and landlords.

What is your policy on alterations, can I replace my kitchen units or bathroom?

Your lease explains what you need to do, most alterations to your apartment are allowed but we ask that you contact us to seek approval first

I have a mobility scooter, what are your arrangements for this?

For safety reasons, you will require specific permission for a mobility scooter/ or a motorised wheelchair to be used  in the communal areas we are happy to discuss your requirements on a one to one basis. You will need written consent in advance for this

Does the Service Charge cover the cleaning of my apartment?

The Service Charge covers the cleaning of the communal areas. Residents are responsible for arranging the cleaning of their apartments.

How does the Good Morning Mat/PIR system work? Do I have to be up at a certain time?

No, the mat works from approximately 6.30am to 10am. If you have not activated your mat by that time the House Manager or off-site Monitoring Service will call you to ensure all is well.

Can I opt out of the Good Morning Mat/PIR system?

You can of course opt out of the service by signing a disclaimer. However, as this service is designed to ensure your well-being, we strongly advise against this.

I pay for the building insurance – why should I have to take out extra insurance on my apartment?

The landlord takes out insurance to cover the buildings and the communal contents. Residents take out contents insurance to cover their own property as normal.

Is the House Manager on call during the night?

Our House Managers are available during normal working hours. If you require help during the night you should pull one of the emergency cords in your apartment. The off-site Monitoring Service will assist you and summon any help that is required e.g. Doctor or Ambulance.

I have a pet. Can I bring it with me?

It depends on the lease. We will be able to advise you on the situation in your development. Some leases allow an existing pet to live at the development, but it cannot be replaced.

Is it possible for friends and relatives to stay over at the development?

You are welcome to have friends stay over at your apartment. If your development has a Guest Suite it can be rented for short stays at a nominal charge.

Does the House Manager provide personal care?

No. Residents are responsible for arranging their own care.

Is there an age restriction on who can buy an apartment at your developments?

Our developments are designed for independent retirement living. The individual lease will stipulate who can occupy the apartment but generally the minimum is either 55 or 60 years of age.

Who is responsible if my shower isn’t working?

You are responsible for repairs within your apartment. However we hold a list of local contractors and you may wish to choose one of these.

Why do I need to pay for buildings insurance? It’s not my building.

The lease will require the landlord to take out buildings insurance, and the cost of this is reimbursed by the residents. You may wish to ask your solicitor to go through the terms of the lease with you before the purchase is completed to ensure that you are fully aware of all the costs.

Where can I park my car?

All our developments have a car park for residents. However, as the situation at each development is different, please ask the House Manager or our friendly Head Office team for advice. Some developments require a rental fee to be paid for a space.

How can I find out about the amenities in the development and local area?

Your House Manager or Area Manager will be able to help you become familiar with the development and local services. We also provide all new residents with a Welcome Pack which contains essential information about living in a Commerson development and the locality.

What communication will I receive?

We will agree with you exactly how you want us to communicate with you, including how often you wish to meet and receive reports

Can you provide bespoke reporting for RTM Directors or external clients?

We have invested in industry-leading software which allows us to tailor the information we provide to your individual needs, from summary to fine detail

How do you select contractors?

We maintain a list of approved contractors who are carefully selected for their effectiveness and to ensure good value. We review this list at least annually to verify that the firms on it continue to meet our rigorous standards. Residents are invited to nominate good local contractors.

How do you manage debtors?

Our Finance Department has an effective and well-defined credit control process which means that service charge arrears are kept to a minimum.

What services do you provide to help promote sales?

We are not an estate agency, however we have a very efficient sales administrator who has developed excellent relationships with estate agents and solicitors. This means we can respond quickly to sales enquiries.

What have you done to demonstrate your commitment to good practice?

We have been awarded ARMA-Q status by the Association of Residential Managing Agents (ARMA). As Corporate members of this body we adhere to a rigorous code of practice and subscribe to an independent Ombudsman service for complaint resolution.

Can you provide references from users of your service?

We are very happy to provide references on request.

Back To Top